Skip to main content

Comment, compliment or complaint

We will deal promptly with any complaints about the services we provide. Compliments are passed on to the people concerned and we use your comments to help us improve what we do.

The easiest way to make a comment, compliment or complaint is to use our online form. 

Make a complaint

Make a comment or compliment

Alternative ways to make a comment, compliment or complaint are detailed below.

  • Email:
  • By post: 
    Customer Relations team, Cheshire West and Chester Council, 4 Civic Way, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0BE 
  • Telephone: 0300 123 8 123 and ask to make a comment, compliment or complaint
  • Visit a customer service centre and ask to make a comment, compliment or complaint. 

Please note: complaints about Councillors, Health and Social Care, Children's Services, housing and schools follow a different procedure

What happens once I have made a complaint

Your complaint will be acknowledged by the Complaints team by letter or email to confirm we have received it. It will be sent to the relevant service for an investigation and response at stage one of the Corporate Compliments Comments and Complaints Policy (CCC). If we have made a mistake, this stage allows the service to put things right and make an apology.

The acknowledgement letter will tell you how long the investigation is likely to take.

In normal circumstances, we will aim to respond to your complaint within 20 working days of receipt and you will usually receive a response direct from the service you complained about. Sometimes, more complex issues may take longer but we will keep you informed of our progress and will inform you, in writing, of any delays in our response.

If you are not satisfied with our stage one response you have the opportunity to escalate your complaint to stage two of the CCC Policy. Please write to the Complaints team within 21 days of the date of the stage one response letter, your letter should say why you are unhappy with the stage one response and what outcomes you would like to see as a result of a stage two investigation.

Your stage two complaint will be referred to a Senior Manager from the relevant service who will review the investigation of your complaint at stage one. The Senior Manager may challenge the initial investigation and may also make recommendations for service improvements as appropriate. They will then write to you to give the Council’s final response to your complaint within the Corporate Complaints Process.

What if I am still not satisfied

If you remain dissatisfied after your complaint has been dealt with at both stages of the Corporate Complaints Policy you may wish to contact the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman. You can complain at any time to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman, who is independent of the Council and can investigate on your behalf. Contact details for The Local Government Ombudsman Advice team are below.

Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.