Skip to main content

Limit how we use your data

Your right to limit how we use your data

In some circumstances, you have the right to ask us to restrict what we use your personal information for. Under the Data Protection Act, this is called the right to restrict. You can ask us to restrict access to your data when:

  • you have identified inaccurate information and have told us about it.
  • we have no legal reason to use that information but you want us to restrict what we use it for rather than erase the information altogether.
  • we no longer need your data but you may require us to keep it to establish, exercise or defend a legal claim.

This right is closely linked to your rights to challenge the accuracy of your data and to object to its use.

How to limit how we your data

To exercise your right to restriction, you should say what data you want restricted and why.

If you want to you can also make a request for restriction at the same time as you raise another objection.

A request can be verbal or in writing. We recommend you follow up any verbal request in writing because this will allow you to explain your concerns, give evidence and state your desired solution. It will also provide clear proof of your actions if you decide to challenge our initial response.

Before you begin

In most cases, we will need to verify your identify before we can proceed with your request. When we do need to, you will need to provide two copies of ID to confirm who you are. You will be shown a list of which ID is accepted when you apply.

If you are making a request on behalf of another person, you will also need to provide their ID and their permission for you to act as their representative.

Make an individual rights request

  • By post: Data Protection Officer, Cheshire West and Chester Council, The Portal, Wellington Road, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0BA

How much will it cost?

There is no charge for making a request.

How long will it take?

We will respond to your request within one calendar month, unless you have made more than one request or the enquiry becomes complex. When this occurs your request can take an extra two months to complete.

What if I am unhappy with your response?

If you are unhappy with how we have handled your request, use one of the methods below to highlight your concerns:

  • Online: Contact the DPO
  • By post: Data Protection Officer, Cheshire West and Chester Council, The Portal, Wellington Road, Ellesmere Port, CH65 0BA

Having done so, if you remain unhappy you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).

You can also seek to enforce your rights through the courts. If you decide to do this, we strongly advise you to seek independent legal advice first.