Independent travel training
What is independent travel training?
Travel training supports children, young people and adults to get more out of life through learning the skills and building confidence to use public transport safely.
What are the aims of the training?
- increase independence
- develop decision making and problem solving skills
- increase self confidence
- develop social skills
- provide opportunities to access hobbies and activities
- provide opportunities to access future learning and training
- provide opportunities to access future jobs
Who can have travel training?
Travel training is available to anyone who is eligible for travel assistance. This may include children and young people with special educational needs and/or disability with an Education, Health and Care plan.
Why learn travel skills and what will you learn?
It helps to develop a range of practical and social skills in a hands-on setting. The ability to travel independently will improve opportunities for education, recreation, employment, leisure and social activities.
Students who have successfully completed training report feeling happier, more confident, having increased self-esteem and more prepared to access further education, training or job opportunities. Training sessions include:
- route planning
- road safety awareness
- personal safety awareness
- how to use a bus/train
- problem solving for example, what to do if a bus is late or cancelled
- what to do in an emergency situation
Who will teach these skills?
Sessions are provided by specialist travel trainers who are accredited by the Open College Network (OCN) and have clearance by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) - enhanced check. A risk assessment is completed for each route that is undertaken.
What can parents/carers do?
- talk to the school/college/day service
- work with the trainer
- give permission for the trainee to start the practical journey. You will be kept informed at each stage and will be part of the signing off process on completion of the training.
- encourage and practice skills with the trainee.
How can I apply and how much will it cost?
Independent travel training (ITT) student referral questionnaire
There is no cost for this service.
Independent travel training leaflet (PDF, 2.46MB)