Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Information for tenants

Advice for private tenants

Further advice on renting privately, such as what you should consider before you start your tenancy, what you need to do during your tenancy and what you should do at the end of your tenancy, can be found on the Citizens Advice website.

  • How to rent – a guide for current and prospective tenants
  • How to rent a safe home – a guide for current and prospective tenants
  • How to let – a guide for current and prospective private residential landlords
  • How to lease – a guide for current and prospective leaseholders

Paying your rent

If you are having trouble paying your rent, you should contact your landlord or letting agent immediately, before things get worse. You may also be entitled to get help with your rent. More information can be found on our Housing Benefit pages.

Reporting disrepair in your rented property

If your rented property is in poor condition and you wish to report disrepair in your rented property, you can do so on online:

Report it

House of multiple occupation

A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) is a property which is let to at least three tenants who form more than one household and who share a toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities. Your landlord must have a license for all HMO properties which are occupied by five or more people forming two or more households. An HMO license guide for tenants has been produced so that you are aware of the standards and conditions landlords must meet with regards to HMO properties.