Skip to main content

Key information

1. Can I extend my house, put up a fence or build something in my garden

You won’t need to make a planning application for some minor extensions, outbuildings and improvement works. Use the interactive guides below to learn about ‘permitted development’ rights. Sometimes different rules apply to houses that are in Conservation areas or are Listed buildings.

You may also need:

2. Can I do other building works inside my property

Internal works don’t normally require planning permission, although building consent may be needed if your property is listed. You may also need Building Regulations Approval.

3. How do I start up a new business or extend my current premises

We want to help businesses to settle and grow in Cheshire West. To obtain detailed professional assistance before you submit a planning application, use our flexible pre-application service. 

4. How do I apply

5. How much does it cost

Planning applications normally incur a fee.

6. What happens once my application is submitted

Planning applications have to be decided in line with the local planning authority's development plan. Most applications are decided upon within eight weeks, unless they are unusually large or complex.

7. Can I amend my planning permission

Very small changes (for example, moving windows and doors) may be classed as a non material amendment, for which there is a simplified application process. Beyond this, changes causing a minor material amendment (for example, small alterations to external dimensions) can be dealt with using a targeted planning application. Changes causing a significant deviation (for example, building in a completely different location) may require a new full application.

8. Building works are taking place near to me, How can I find out what’s happening and where do I go if I want to make a complaint

You can use our online search facility to find out if a development has planning permission. It may be that the works don’t require planning permission from the Council. If you are concerned, send us details using the online complaint form and we will check that the works are being carried out correctly.

9. Can I speak to a planning officer

 You can ask a question by:

  • Telephone: 0300 123 7027

10. How do I complain about a planning permission

Under the current appeal rules, only an applicant can submit a formal appeal. There is no third-party right of appeal. If you wish to make a complaint regarding the process of how a particular planning application was dealt with, then please contact us.

11. I wish to view documents from a planning application, where can I find these?

Cheshire West and Chester Council has details of Planning applications dating back to 1948.

Planning applications between 1948 and 1974 are available upon request. Please email us with your request and these will be made available to you.

Planning applications from 1974 onwards are available online. Please use our online search facility to search for these.

12. Highways adoption

If a developer would like a road to be adopted as part of a new development then please email the Development Highways team:

However, if you have a query regarding an existing road being adopted then please email either:

Carrying out a search

If you require the Council to carry out a search then there is a charge of £36 per hour (chargeable to the nearest half hour with £18 minimum charge). If you require a hard copy of any of the documents there is a charge of 10p per sheet for A4 and A3 (no charge if less than £1) and £1 for any documents over A3.

Further information

Share this page

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.