Blue Badge scheme
The Blue Badge Scheme is a national parking scheme for people with disabilities or health problems which mean they need to park closer to their destination.
Am I eligible?
You can automatically get a badge if you:
- are severely sight impaired or blind
- receive the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and have scored 8 points or more in the ‘moving around’ section
- receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and have scored 10 points in the ‘planning and following journeys’ section on the grounds that you are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress
- receive the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
- have received a lump sum benefit as part of the Armed Forces Compensation scheme (tariffs 1 to 8), and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability
- have been diagnosed as having terminal cancer
You may be eligible if you:
- drive a vehicle regularly and have a severe disability in both arms and are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty operating, all or some types of parking meter
- have a permanent and substantial disability which means you cannot walk or find walking very difficult
- have children under the age of three, who have a disability due to a medical condition and need to travel with bulky equipment or be close to a vehicle for emergency medical treatment
- represent an organisation which cares for people with disabilities who meet one of the criteria listed above
- find that walking is dangerous to your health and safety
- are constantly a significant risk to yourself or others near vehicles, in traffic or car parks
- struggle severely to plan or follow a journey
- find it difficult or impossible to control your actions and lack awareness of the impact you could have on others
- regularly have intense and overwhelming responses to situations causing temporary loss of behavioural control
- frequently become extremely anxious or fearful of public/open spaces
If you think you meet the criteria above you can apply online.