Blue Badge scheme
The Blue Badge Scheme is a national parking scheme for people with severe mobility problems or those registered as having a severe sight impairment.
Please note, we have received the guidance regarding hidden disabilities and are aware of the legislation changes from the 30 August 2019. You can still apply as normal and there will be no changes until this date. You can only apply under the new criteria once the changes have come into effect. More details on this can be found on the Gov.uk website.
Am I eligible?
You can automatically get a badge if you:
- are severely sight impaired or blind
- receive the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and have scored 8 points or more in the ‘moving around’ section
- receive Personal Independence Payments (PIP) and receive 10 points in the ‘planning and following a journey’ section with the following ‘cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant’.
- receive the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
- have received a lump sum benefit as part of the Armed Forces Compensation scheme (tariffs 1 to 8), and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability
- have been diagnosed as having terminal cancer
You may be eligible if you:
- drive a vehicle regularly and have a severe disability in both arms and are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty operating, all or some types of parking meter
- have a permanent and substantial disability which means you cannot walk or find walking very difficult
- have children under the age of three, who have a disability due to a medical condition and need to travel with bulky equipment or be close to a vehicle for emergency medical treatment
- represent an organisation which cares for people with disabilities who meet one of the criteria listed above
- have a non-visible (hidden) condition which causes you to severely struggle with journeys between a vehicle and the destination and one of the following:
- there is a significant risk to themselves or others near vehicles, traffic or car parks
- severely struggles to plan or follow a journey
- finds it hard or impossible to control their actions and is unaware of the impact they could have on others
- regularly has intense and overwhelming responses to situations causing temporary loss of behavioural control
- frequently becomes extremely anxious or fearful of public/open spaces
If you think you meet the criteria above you can apply online.