Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Housing benefit


What is a non-dependant?

A non-dependant is someone who lives with you and is over 18 years old. They can be:

  • relatives
  • friends
  • children who have left education and you no longer receive Child Benefit for
  • boarders, sub-tenants and joint tenants.

Does a non-dependant affect my benefits?

We take set amounts off your benefit for non-dependants, based on their income.

If a non-dependant doesn't contribute towards your rent or you choose not to accept their contribution, the law says that we still have to reduce your benefit. Sometimes this rule doesn't apply. We will not make a charge if you or your partner:

  • are receiving Attendance Allowance
  • are registered blind or have recently regained your sight
  • receive the care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • receive the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment.

Or, if the non-dependant:

  • is a full-time student or receives a work-based training allowance
  • is in receipt of Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based), Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related) and are aged under 25
  • is in receipt of Guarantee Credit or Savings Credit
  • has been in hospital for more than 52 weeks
  • is in prison or normally lives elsewhere.

For Council Tax reduction purposes only, if the non-dependant receives Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based) or Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related) then no deduction will be made, no matter how old they are.

If you have a non-dependant who changes jobs, has an increase or decrease in their earnings or income, or receives any state benefits you need to report this change in circumstance.