Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Housing benefit

Apply for housing benefit

Universal Credit migration

From April 2024, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is writing to some people who receive these benefits to let them know that they need to claim Universal Credit instead.

This letter - called a Migration Notice – explains what you need to do and when. It also provides information on the help available to continue receiving support from the government.

Please read the linked page below for more information.

Universal Credit migration webpage

Most people cannot claim Housing Benefit because Universal Credit replaced it and many other benefits. You might still qualify for a Council Tax Reduction.

To apply for Housing Benefit, you must meet one of the following:

  • a single person of pension age
  • a couple and both are of pension age
  • living in supported accommodation, such as a hostel or refuge
  • living in temporary accommodation.

Before you make a Housing Benefit claim, please check your entitlement for the benefits you can claim. If you incorrectly claim a benefit, this might delay your claim or cause you to lose entitlement.

What do I need?

To claim Housing Benefit, you'll need to provide us with information about yourself and your partner (if you have one). The online application will ask you to provide the following details:

  • National Insurance number (found on other benefit letters or payslips)
  • two forms of identity (driving licence, passport)
  • details of capital, savings and investments (bank statements, official letters)
  • details of earnings (wage slips or proof of self employment)
  • details of any other income
  • details of other benefits, allowances or pensions claimed
  • proof of rent or tenancy agreement (for Housing Benefit claims only)

After you have applied, you will need to send us evidence to support your claim within one calendar month. If you have a non-dependant that lives with you, you'll need to provide evidence of their income too.

If you are self-employed, a taxi driver or a company director you will also need to complete a self employed/director questionnaire. You will be advised of this after you have made your claim.


If you experience problems completing the online claim form please contact our customer services team on 0300 123 7021.

What happens next?

When we receive your claim and your supporting documents, we will calculate your claim. We might ask for further evidence during this process. We will then write to you to let you know what your award amount is, including how and when it will be paid.

If you qualify for a Council Tax reduction, we will tell the Council Tax team for you. They will adjust your bill and write to you.

While we process your claim, you should still try to pay your Council Tax and rent. If you can, speak with your landlord or agency to let them know your situation.

Fast track claims

You can ask for your Housing Benefit claim to be fast tracked. This means we'll make a decision on your claim within five working days. For us to fast track your claim, we ask that you:

  • complete and submit an online application, answering all questions
  • email all supporting documents immediately.