Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Difficulty paying Council Tax


If you experience difficulty paying, it is important that you let us know as soon as possible.

We would also advise you to pay what you can to reduce the balance due. If you are paying less than the due amount or paying after the due date, then you will receive further notices. If you receive any recovery letters, please contact us to see what we can do to help.

Sign up to pay by Direct Debit, it’s the easiest way to pay.

Low income households

If you are on a low income then you may be entitled to Council Tax Reduction. This is a means tested benefit based on your income and capital and can help towards paying your bill.

You may qualify for other discounts or exemptions, based on your circumstances.

Court summons

If you have been issued with a reminder and have failed to pay that on time, the next step is to issue a court summons for the full balance.

Applying for a Section 13A Discount Award

  • discretionary Council Tax reductions must be applied for in writing by the Council Taxpayer, their advocate/appointee or a recognised third party acting on their behalf. You can apply online below. Alternatively, if you wish to apply in writing please send your section 13a request to The Portal, Wellington Road, Ellesmere Port CH65 0BA
  • where the application is on the grounds of financial hardship evidence must be provided. You will be required to provide proof of earnings for you and your households and proof of savings
  • the application should normally relate to the current Council Tax year, unless the Council Taxpayer has only recently received a bill following a retrospective change to a previous year

Successful applicants will be notified in writing of the amount and period a Discretionary Council Tax reduction has been awarded for. Any entitlement is applied to the Council Tax account and a revised bill is sent. Awards are limited to the end of the financial year in which the application is made.

Apply for a section 13A discount award