Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Discounts and exemptions


There are a number of ways to get money off your Council Tax bill, whether you qualify will be determined by who lives in your property and their circumstances.

If you are claiming a reduction, discount or exemption and your circumstances change in a way that affects your entitlement, you must report the change.

If your discount is approved, you will receive an amended Council Tax bill. We will conduct mandatory reviews of all discounts, exemptions, and reliefs. We have a duty to protect the public finances by ensuring that your circumstances haven’t changed and that you still qualify for a discount or exemption. You must tell us if your circumstances change and you are no longer entitled to a discount or exemption.

Claiming a discount or exemption when you know that you are not entitled to is fraud and you can be prosecuted for this.

There are various rules around paying Council Tax on properties left empty. Owners may be required to pay more or less Council Tax, depending on their circumstances.