Skip to main content

Difficulty paying Council Tax

If you experience difficulty paying, it is important you let us know as soon possible. We may be able to amend your instalments including spreading them over 12 months including instalments in February and March.

If you are a low income then you may be entitled to Council Tax Reduction.This is a means tested benefit based on your income and capital and can help towards paying your bill. 

Reminders and final notices

Please do not wait for the next reminder to arrive. Contacting us before recovery proceedings have commenced allows us to consider your position and look into other arrangements.

If you have received a final notice advising that you have lost the right to pay by instalments and you cannot afford to pay this in full please contact us or call us on 0300 123 7022 so that we can discuss your options.

Court summons 

If you have received a summons for non-payment further payment arrangements can be considered. Please see the below link to complete an income and expenditure form to make an offer of payment.

We cannot consider payment arrangements without first obtaining a liability order and while any balances are subject to the statutory instalment scheme.

Make an offer of repayment

You can get free independent advice on Council Tax arrears by contacting Citizens Advice Cheshire West.

Attachment of earnings information

If you have received an Attachment of Earnings Order from us in respect of Council Tax you can view a copy of the regulations, guidance notes for employers’ and Schedule 4 information below.

Contact us

Further information


Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact