Skip to main content

Housing benefit

Change in circumstance

This page is for customers who receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction. If this does not apply to you and you need to contact the Council Tax Department. The law says you must tell us if you have a change in circumstances as it may mean your benefits need to change.

What changes do I need to tell you about?

  • changes to other benefits, such as Job Seeker Allowance, Universal Credit, or any other benefits.
  • changes to who lives with you, for example if anyone moves in or out.
  • if you are reporting a death, please use the governments Tell us once service, this service will notify multiple government organisations.
  • any changes in income for you or anyone living with you, such as wages or tax credits. You need tell us when this starts, stops, goes up or down.
  • changes to bank accounts, savings and investments, such as the amounts in your bank or savings account.
  • if you move or live away from home
  • become a student or finish a course
  • go in to hospital or prison
  • a child leaves education
  • you stop getting Child Benefit
  • your rent goes up or down

If you are self-employed, a taxi driver or company director you will need to complete a self-employed/director questionnaire.

This is not a full list of changes that might have happened. If you are unsure if you need to tell us, let us know and we will let you tell you if this changes your benefits.

Report a change in circumstances

What happens if I haven't told you?

If we find out your change affects your benefits then we may have paid you too much benefit/reduction. We have to tell you what the right amount is and how much we have overpaid you. A decision will be made whether to ask you to pay it back or what we are going to do about it. Find out more about overpayments.

If you don't agree with our decision, you can ask us to look at it again. Our Disputes and appeals section will tell you what you can do.