Better Renting Campaign
Our better renting campaign will ensure that all private tenants within Cheshire West have access to a safe, secure and good quality home.
Our campaign will
Address poor housing conditions and housing management standards;
Recognise and support professional landlords and letting agents;
Support tenants and prospective tenants by providing them with the information they need.
What we will do
We will address poor housing conditions and housing management standards by
- Targeting landlords and letting agents who house tenants in poor housing and who deliver poor housing management services;
- Making it easy for tenants to report any disrepair or poor housing conditions to us.
- Taking enforcement action against landlords and letting agents who refuse to carry out any necessary improvement works;
- Work with landlords and letting agents and encourage them to become accredited with the Cheshire Landlord Accreditation Scheme.
- Support national Government in their plans to: introduce the banning of letting agency fees, introduce longer term tenancies and deliver a national rogue landlord database.
We will recognise and support professional landlords and letting agents by
- Providing free advice and support to landlords via our Private Landlord Service for example: free tenant finding service, tenancy sign up/support services, Universal Credit advice;
- Delivering a biannual landlord forum in conjunction with the National Landlords Association;
- Delivering an annual landlord training programme;
- Producing regular landlord newsletters that keeps landlords informed about the latest news affecting the sector.
- Top ten things to do when letting a property (PDF, 303KB)
We will support tenants and prospective tenants and provide them with the information they need by