Skip to main content

Apply for a Blue Badge

Before starting your application you will need a copy or photograph of the following documents to upload on to the application. 

  • proof of address from within the last 12 months for example a Council Tax, utility bill or bank statement
  • proof of identity such as a passport or driving licence
  • a passport-style photo (showing your head and shoulders)
  • any supporting evidence required for example, proof of Disability Living Allowance
  • a credit or debit card to pay the £10 administration fee (if you automatically qualify)

A full list of documents you may need can be found on our document checklist


If you are unable to apply online other ways to apply are available.

What happens next?

We will look at your application and see if we need any more information. During the application process we use a system that gives us a score based on the information you have provided. This is worked out automatically and it may mean that you qualify, are asked to attend a mobility assessment or are declined. 

If you automatically qualify we will contact you to let you know. Our current processing times are around four weeks. Your badge will be sent in the post and it can take up to 10 days for you to receive it.


If you are asked to attend an assessment. You will be seen by a qualified occupational therapist. This is nothing to worry about and it means we can understand the difficulties you face.

After you have been seen, you will be notified of the outcome within around a week.

Organisational badges

Before you apply you will need:

  • vehicle registration
  • type of vehicle
  • how many people it is for
  • a credit or debit card to pay the £10 admin fee

Organisational application

What if my application is refused?

If we have refused your application, we will outline the reasons why. If you disagree with our decision you can appeal it within one calendar month. This needs to be in writing by post to the Blue Badge team or by email.


Customers who are unable to complete an online application can call our blue badge team 0300 123 7040 to arrange for us to send out a paper application. Please be aware that this is a longer process than completing the form online. 


If your badge was issued by another council, for example Cheshire East or Flintshire. Then you don't need to apply until your current one expires.


We have been made aware of certain Blue Badge application schemes charging over £10 to customers and the application appearing non-existent. These schemes are not connected to any national or local authority Blue Badge scheme.


If you are a Blue Badge holder overseas and are visiting Cheshire West we can issue you with a temporary permit. This will give you the same rights as Cheshire West Blue Badge holders during your visit. To request a temporary permit please email


If you change your vehicle you do not need to tell us as the badge is for the person and not the vehicle.


You don't need to tell us, when you next renew or replace, we will ask you if you have moved.

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact