Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Housing benefit


Most people can no longer claim Housing Benefit, this is because of the introduction of Universal Credit. This benefit replaces a number of other benefits. You may still qualify for Council Tax Reduction.

One of the following needs to apply for you to be able to claim Housing Benefit:

  • you are a single and of pension age or a couple and both of you are of pension age
  • you are living in supported accommodation such as hostels and refuges
  • you have been placed in temporary accommodation

Before you make a claim please ensure you check your entitlement and which benefits you can claim. Claiming an incorrect benefit may result in your claim being delayed which may cause you to lose entitlement.

What do I need?

You'll need to provide us with the following details for you and your partner (if you have one). This will be requested on the application form and you will be required to provide supporting evidence to us within one calendar month of the date you apply:

  • National Insurance number - This can be found on other benefit letters or payslips
  • two forms of identity - Driving licence, passport
  • details of capital, savings and investments, - Bank statements, official letters
  • details of earnings - Wage slips or proof of self employment
  • details of any other income
  • details of other benefits, allowances or pensions claimed
  • proof of rent or tenancy agreement (for Housing Benefit claims only)

If you are self-employed, a taxi driver or company director you will also need to complete a self employed/ director questionnaire. You will be directed to this once you have made your claim

If you have a non dependant that lives with you will need to provide evidence of their income.


What happens next?

Once we have received your claim and your documents, we will calculate your claim. We may ask for further documents throughout this process. When your claim has been processed we will write to you letting you know what your award is, how and when it will be paid. If you qualify for Council Tax reduction, we will let the Council Tax department know and they will adjust your bill and write to you.

You should still try to pay your Council Tax and rent while we are processing your claim. If you can, speak with your landlord or agency to let them know of the situation

Fast track claims

Any customer can ask for their claim to be fast tracked. This means we will make a decision on your claim within five working days. In order for us to fast track your claim we ask that you:

  • complete and submit our online application, answering all questions
  • email all supporting documents straight away

Other help available

Get help in one place

If you experience problems completing the online form please contact our customer services team on 0300 123 7021.