Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction
Most people can no longer claim Housing Benefit, this is because of the introduction of Universal Credit. This benefit replaces a number of other benefits, you can find out more on our Universal Credit page.
One of the following needs to apply for you to be able to claim Housing Benefit:
- you are of Pension Credit age
- you are living in supported accommodation, such as hostels and refuges
- you have been placed in temporary accommodation
- you are in receipt of the Severe Disability Premium within Income Related Employment and Support Allowance, Income Based Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support or Housing Benefit.
What do I need to do next?
You'll need to provide us with the following for yourself and your partner (if you have one):
- proof of National Insurance Number - This can be found on other benefit letters or payslips
- two forms of identity - Driving licence, passport
- details of capital, savings and investments, - Bank statements, official letters
- details of earnings - Wageslips or proof of self employment
- details of any other income
- details of other benefits, allowances or pensions claimed
- proof of rent or tenancy agreement (for Housing Benefit claims only)
We can't work out your claim until we have seen all the proof we have asked for. If you haven't got all the proof needed, you can send the information in later, but we can't work out your entitlement without it.
What happens next?
Once we receive your claim and proof, we will calculate your claim. We may ask for more information than you have provided.
When your claim has been process we will write to you letting you know what benefit we can give you. We will let you know how it will be paid, how much and when. If you qualify for Council Tax reduction, we will let the Council Tax department know and they will adjust your bill and write to you.
You should still try to pay your Council Tax and rent while we are processing your claim. If you can, speak with your landlord or agency to let them know of the situation.
Fast track claims
Any customer can ask for their claim to be fast tracked. This means we will make a decision on your claim within five working days. In order for us to fast track your claim we ask that you:
Complete and submit our online application, answering all questions.
Supply all information and evidence required to one of our offices straight away and we will make a decision within five working days.