Skip to main content

Claiming Council Tax Reduction

Who can apply?

You can apply whether you are working or unemployed if you are the person responsible for paying the Council Tax and are resident at the property. How much of you receive will depend on your income and circumstances. 

You cannot claim Council Tax Reduction if:

  • you are a full time student or;
  • you (and your partner, if you have one), have more than £6,000 in savings and you are of working age or;
  • you have £16,000 in savings and you are of pension age

But there are some exceptions to these rules. For example for people who are on Guarantee Pension Credit

Make a claim

If you experience problems completing the online form please contact our customer services team on 0300 123 7021.

What happens next?

Once we receive your claim and proof, we will calculate your claim. We may ask for more information than you have provided.

When your claim has been processed we will write to you letting you know what reduction we can give you. We will let the Council Tax department know and they will adjust your bill and write to you.

If I qualify, when will it start?

Your reduction will usually start from the Monday after we get your claim form. For pension age customers, it may start from an earlier date. 

You should tell us straightaway if your circumstances change as this may affect the amount of you are entitled to. If we give you too much reduction we will send you a revised bill and you will usually have to pay more than you were.

If you don't agree with our decision, you can ask us to look at it again. Our letters tell you what your rights are.

If you live alone

If you are a sole occupant, you may qualify for single person discount. You can find out more on our 'Claiming single person discount' section of our website.

You can find out more about how we work out your entitlement on our ‘How Council Tax Reduction is calculated' section.


Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact