eBilling and managing your account online
When you register for Council Tax, apply for a discount or set up a direct debit, we will automatically set up your account for eBilling, unless you have told us otherwise. When an eBill is issued, you will receive an email with a link to view the bill on our self-service portal.
There are many benefits to eBilling including:
- you'll receive your bill as soon as it's available
- it's better for the environment as it saves paper
- it reduces printing and postage costs
- you can access it at anytime
- you can print it off yourself if you need a paper copy
Before you can access your bill online you will need to register for a portal account here:
Access your account online
The self-service portal allows you to:
- set up or amend a Direct Debit for Council Tax and Business rates
- report a change of address
- apply for a discount or exemption
- view payments you have made
- view any balances outstanding
- see the date your next instalment is due
- view copies of any bills, previous bills, reminders and any other notices
- set up or amend eBilling
If you would prefer to not receive your bills this way, you can request a paper copy of your bill any time by emailing us email@example.com.
How to set up an account
There are two stages to accessing your account online:
- use the ‘access your account online’ link above
- select ‘Register Now’
- complete the registration form
- add the service you require, for example Council Tax or Business Rates
- you will receive an email to activate your login
Verifying your account:
- activate your account
- set up access to view your account by selecting 'My Services'
- enter your account reference number
- select 'access now'
- provide the information related to your account so that it can be verified against our database (this is a security measure to prevent unauthorised access to your account details)
If we do not hold enough information to verify your access at this point, you will be prompted to request a Personal Identification Number (PIN) letter. This will be sent to you in the post. Once you receive the PIN letter, log into your account and go the My Services page. Enter your account reference as before and select ‘Enter PIN’. Click ‘Add account’.
After you have verified your account you can add or amend eBilling by clicking on the eBilling sign-up link on the account summary page.
If you do not know your account reference or want to opt out of eBilling please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
How to view your bill
Once you have registered and verified your account reference you will need to:
- login and select ‘My Services'
- on the account panel select ‘Show details’ to access your account information
- if you have access to more than one account, use the dropdown menu to choose the one you wish to view
- go to the correspondence tab, change the dropdown menu to ‘All Issued’
- select ‘View’ on the bill or notice you wish to view.
- hover your mouse over the top of the image and a menu will appear giving you the option to download or print your bill
What to do when you receive an email with a link to view your bill
If you have set up eBilling and a new or revised bill or notice is issued you will receive an email with a link to view this on the portal.
- click on the link
- enter the username and password you used to register
- the bill or notice will open
If you are not able to view your bill, please make sure you have completed the verification process detailed in the ‘How to set up an account’ section above to again access to your account.
If you get an ‘activation code required’ error message it is likely that you have registered for ‘My Cheshire West and Chester’ portal, for general council services and linked to the Council Tax portal through that. To access your bill, you will need to:
- login using the ‘login or sign up’ option at the top of every web page
- click the link in the email, or
- login to My Cheshire West and Chester
- click on Council Tax and you should see your bill under the correspondence section