Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software
Skip to main content

Discounts and exemptions

Single person discount

A Council Tax bill is based on two or more adults living in a property as their main home. If only one person over 18 lives in the property, we may reduce your Council Tax by 25%. This is commonly known as ‘single person discount’. If you have a child who has turned 18 you may be entitled to further discount.

You can only claim a single person discount for your main home. You cannot claim it for a second home.

If someone who normally lives with you is temporarily away from home, for example working away and only comes back occasionally, your property still counts as that person’s main home and you wouldn’t be eligible for single person discount.