Skip to main content

Reductions for disabled people

We offer a reduction in the Council Tax band of the property where a disabled person or persons live. For example, a band C home would become a band B. This is offered when the disabled person makes use of additional rooms to meet therapeutic or day-to-day needs. For disabled people living in a property in the lowest band, A, a reduction approximately equivalent to 10% will be given.

To qualify, the property needs to be one of the following:

  • has a second bathroom or kitchen adapted from rooms available in the property, to meet the needs of the disabled person
  • where a wheelchair is used indoors
  • where a special room is required to meet the therapeutic needs of the disabled person 

Application form

Vacating a property for care

If a person’s sole or main residence has changed to a care or nursing home and they have no intention to return to the property, reductions and exemptions may be available. 

If only one person remains (over 18) then a 25% reduction can be claimed. If it leaves no residents at a property then a 100% Council Tax exemption can be awarded. If a person has been in hospital prior to going into a nursing/care home with no intention to return, the reduction can be backdated to the date they were admitted to hospital.

Apply online

Share this page

Terms and conditions Privacy policy Cookies Contact                      

We use cookies

Cheshire West and Chester Council use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.